In the "Comprehensive Economic Measures to Secure People’s Lives and Livelihoods toward Relief and Hope" passed by the Cabinet on December 8, 2020, as part of the measures to create an environment where foreign businesspersons can conduct business in Japan with peace of mind, it was decided to take various steps to improve procedures with regard to residence status. In response, the following special measures are available for HSPs in asset management businesses.
○ A new bonus category (+10 points) is added for asset management businesses for calculating the points to apply for the status of residence of "Highly-Skilled Professional"
● Preferential processing of entry and residence procedures for HSPs (the processing period is expected to be around 10 days).
○ HSPs in asset management businesses are allowed to:
○ Foreigners who enter Japan as a "Temporary Visitor" for the purpose of preparing for company setup can change their status of residence directly to "Highly-Skilled Professional" or "Business Manager", etc without returning to their home country before commencing business, subject to certain conditions*1
*1 Registration as an investment management business should be made while staying in Japan as a "Temporary Visitor"
● Spouses of HSPs can work full-time without obtaining working visas, subject to certain conditions*2
● Preferential processing of entry and residence procedures for spouses of HSPs (the processing period: around 10 days)
*2 Living with HSPs and engaging in activities that fall under some categories of activities such as those "Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services", while earning at least an equivalent amount of income to Japanese with similar jobs.
Note: Bullets starting with ○ are preferential treatments for asset managers