Press Conference by Kaoru Yosano, Minister of Finance and Minister for Financial Services and Economic and Fiscal Policy
April 27, 2009
[Questions and Answers]
Could you tell us about what measures the Ministry of Finance, the FSA (Financial Services Agency) and the Cabinet Office are planning to take to cope with the outbreak of swine flu, which has become a global issue, and your sense of crisis, if you feel any, about it?
There are already additional stockpiles of Tamiflu for 14 million to 15 million people, and funds for more stockpiles are included in the budget concerning avian flu. Approximately 130 billion yen has already been budgeted, so I believe that sufficient measures can be taken against new types of influenza, including the swine flu, if the budget is enacted. As there are also reserve funds, we can deal with the situation for the moment from the budgetary viewpoint. However, it is important for us to be ready to spend funds unstintingly in order to cope with a national health problem.
I would like to ask you about your concurrent assumption of three ministerial posts. I presume that as the minister for economic and fiscal policy at the Cabinet Office, you would like to implement as many measures as possible, while as the Minister of Finance, you should tighten the purse strings. Has there been any problem with your combining these posts? Also, what is your view on the financial size of 14 trillion yen that was eventually decided (for the economic stimulus package)?
I have not felt anything wrong about my serving in the three posts at the same time.
- Laws & RegulationsPage list
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Recent Changes
- Public Comment
- No Action Letter System
- Procedures concerning Foreign Account Management Institutions
- PrinciplesPage list
- Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Progress and Assessment of the Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Policy Approaches to Strengthen Cyber Security in the Financial Sector
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- AnnouncementsPage list
- Press Conferences
- Press Releases
- Official Statements
- Great East Japan Earthquake-Related Information
- The Earthquake Centered in the Kumamoto Region of Kumamoto Prefecture 2016-Related Information
- List of Institutions
- For those engaging in High Speed Trading
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.