Press Conference by Taro Aso, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Finance, and Minister of State for Financial Services
(Friday, October 27, 2017, 10:36 am to 10:47 am)
[Questions and answers:]
I have a question about the integrating operations of regional banks. In Nagasaki Prefecture, a regional bank integrating operations has been postponed indefinitely, while in Niigata Prefecture the same thing looks likely to happen with the integrating operations of the Hokuetsu Bank and the Daishi Bank. The reason is that the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) is reluctant to give the go ahead for those. What do you think about the current situation?
There’s certainly a lot going on with regional banks, the Eighteenth Bank, and so on. The FTC expresses concern that Fukuoka Bank could end up with too large a share of the market, but that’s an individual case, and I’ll refrain from commenting on individual cases, including the one in Niigata.
The general view is that while regional banks are exploring the option of integrating operations as they try to transform their business models, the FTC, which is part of the government, seems to be putting the brakes on that. What’s your opinion on this?
There are various different positions, so there are bound to be different opinions.
- Laws & RegulationsPage list
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Recent Changes
- Public Comment
- No Action Letter System
- Procedures concerning Foreign Account Management Institutions
- PrinciplesPage list
- Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Progress and Assessment of the Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Policy Approaches to Strengthen Cyber Security in the Financial Sector
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- AnnouncementsPage list
- Press Conferences
- Press Releases
- Official Statements
- Great East Japan Earthquake-Related Information
- The Earthquake Centered in the Kumamoto Region of Kumamoto Prefecture 2016-Related Information
- List of Institutions
- For those engaging in High Speed Trading
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.