September 17, 2009
Financial Services Agency
FSA publishes the third progress report on its efforts toward “Better Regulation”
On July 13, 2009, the Financial Services Agency (FSA) published the third progress report on its efforts toward “Better Regulation.” (PDF:68KB)
The FSA has been engaged in an initiative to improve the quality of financial regulation (Better Regulation) since the summer of 2007.
Since then, the global financial market turmoil triggered by the U.S. subprime mortgage problem developed into a world-wide financial crisis, in particular, following the collapse of a major U.S. investment bank, Lehman Brothers, in September 2008. Amid the drastically changing environment for financial regulation, the FSA has strived to accurately grasp and analyze the current situation, and has implemented various types of measures in a short period of time, keeping its viewpoints regarding “Better Regulation” in mind when carrying out crisis response measures.
During this past year, the FSA has continued its own initiatives to further promote Better Regulation in conducting inspection and supervision, and to move ahead with it into the future.
This report reaffirms the significance of Better Regulation amid the changing environment for financial regulation based on an examination of the crisis response measures, and describes the progress made with regard to the FSA's efforts for Better Regulation in inspection and supervision between May 2008 and July 2009.
In compiling this report, the second questionnaire survey was conducted on the entities subject to supervision by the FSA.
Financial Services Agency
Policy and Legal Division, Planning and Coordination Bureau
Tel +81-(0)3-3506-6000 (ext. 3187, 3181)
- About FSAPage list
- Ministerial Team
- Annual Reports
- Financial Policies Monitor
- Laws & RegulationsPage list
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Recent Changes
- Public Comment
- No Action Letter System
- PrinciplesPage list
- Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Progress and Assessment of the Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Policy Approaches to Strengthen Cyber Security in the Financial Sector
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- AnnouncementsPage list
- Press Conferences
- Press Releases
- Official Statements
- Great East Japan Earthquake-Related Information
- The Earthquake Centered in the Kumamoto Region of Kumamoto Prefecture 2016-Related Information
- List of Institutions
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.