April 27, 2016
Financial Services Agency
Establishment of “Panel of Experts on FinTech Start-ups”
The trend of FinTech has been attracting attention. However, advanced FinTech start-ups and venture capitalists have not necessarily emerged in Japan when compared with the situation in other advanced economies.
In order to promote FinTech start-ups’ growth and success regardless of borders, it is important to create an ecosystem in which a range of professionals–such as those who specialize in technologies (like researchers and engineers) and those who specialize in business development (like enterprises, fund providers, and law and accounting experts)–gather, and FinTech start-ups emerge and grow through the collaboration of such professionals, while taking advantage of Japanese strengths.
Thus, the Financial Services Agency (FSA) is establishing a “Panel of Experts on FinTech Start-ups,” aiming to set up a framework in which experts discuss possible measures to create a “FinTech ecosystem” and the possible impacts on financial services by the trend of FinTech, etc.
2. Members (Japanese alphabetical order without honorific titles)
Joichi Ito, director, MIT Media Lab
Yasunori Kaneko, managing director, Skyline Ventures
Soichi Kariyazono, chair, Japan Venture Capital Association
Tomotaka Goji, managing partner, University of Tokyo Edge Capital Co., Ltd.
Toshio Taki, director of board, Money Forward, Inc.
Masaaki Tanaka, senior advisor, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.
Masaaki Nakatsu, co-founder and CEO, Orb, Inc.
Shin-ichi Fukuda, professor, Graduate School of Economics, University of Tokyo (chair)
Yutaka Matsuo, associate professor, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Tokyo
*The panel will invite other experts as necessary.
The panel will hold its first meeting as follows.
Date: Monday, May 16th, 2016, 10:00–12:00
Conference room: To be announced.
Tel +81-(0)3-3506-6000 (main)
Credit System Office, Planning Division,
Planning and Coordination Bureau, Financial Services Agency
- Press Releases & Public RelationsPage list Open
- Press Releases
- Press Conferences
- Official Statements
- FSA Weekly Review & ACCESS FSA
- For Financial Users
- Laws & RegulationsPage list Open
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Recent Changes (Legislation, Ordinances, Guidelines)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- Public Comment
- No-Action Letter System
- Procedures concerning Foreign Account Management Institutions
- Regulated InstitutionsPage list Open
- List of Institutions
- Administrative Action
- For those engaging in High Speed Trading
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.
- Asia Region Funds Passport (ARFP)