July 12, 2022
Financial Services Agency
Invitation for Public Comments regarding “the Code of Conduct for ESG Evaluation and Data Providers”
1. Purpose, Objectives and Background
In the "Report by the Expert Panel on Sustainable Finance: Building A Financial System that Supports a Sustainable Society" published by the Expert Panel on Sustainable Finance in June 2021, several issues were pointed out with regard to ESG evaluation and data provision organizations, including transparency and fairness of evaluation, as the expected role of such organizations increases.
Since February 2022, the Technical Committee for ESG Evaluation and Data Providers, etc. discussed a wide range of issues, including the current status of ESG evaluation and data, challenges faced by stakeholders in the appropriate provision and use of ESG evaluation and data, and future developments.
Based on the discussions at the Technical Committee, the FSA has compiled the attached Code of Conduct for ESG Evaluation and Data Providers, and is soliciting a wide range of opinions.
2. Subject of the call for opinions
Draft Code of Conduct for ESG Evaluation and Data Providers
Please refer to the Appendix for specific details.
3. Comment period (start and end dates of the call for comments)
From 3:00 p.m. JST on Tuesday, July 12, 2022 to 5:00 p.m. JST on Monday, September 5, 2022 (must arrive no later than this date).
4. Where and how to submit opinions
Please send your comments to email@example.com or via internet with your name (or your entity name), your occupation (or your entity’s business type), and your contact information (address, phone number and/or E-mail address) by 5:00 p.m.JST on Monday, September 5. Please refrain from submitting comments by telephone.
Please be advised that we will disclose the name (or the name in the case of a corporation or other organization) of the person who submitted the comment, along with the content of the comment, if requested to do so. If you wish to remain anonymous at the time of disclosure, please state so clearly at the beginning of your comment. If your opinion contains (1) information about an individual that could identify a specific individual, or (2) a statement that could infringe on the rights, competitive position, or other legitimate interests of a legal entity, we may withhold such information.
Personal information, such as telephone number, will be used to contact or confirm the contents of the comment, or to confirm the position from which the comment was made.
Please note that we will not respond to your comments individually.
The public comment period is now closed.
Financial Services Agency TEL: +81 -(0)3-3506-6000 (main)
Sustainable Finance Office, Strategy Development Division, Strategy Development and Management Bureau (Ext. 2893, 5404, 3515, 2918)
(Attachment 1) The Code of Conduct for ESG Evaluation and Data Providers (Draft)
(Attachment 2) The Code of Conduct for ESG Evaluation and Data Providers (Draft) (Japanese)
- Laws & RegulationsPage list Open
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Recent Changes
- Public Comment
- Capital adequacy requirements (Basel framework)
- Economic value-based solvency regulation
- No-Action Letter System
- Procedures concerning Foreign Account Management Institutions
- PrinciplesPage list Open
- Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Progress and Assessment of the Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Policy Approaches to Strengthen Cyber Security in the Financial Sector
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- AnnouncementsPage list Open
- Press Conferences
- Press Releases
- Official Statements
- Disaster-related Information (Support for Disaster Victims)
InstitutionsPage list Open
- List of Institutions
- For those engaging in High Speed Trading
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.