Financial Services Agency
July 30, 2004
The Status of Non Performing Loans as of end-March 2004
1. Non Performing Loans (NPLs) based on the Financial Reconstruction Law (FRL)
The total amount of NPLs of all banks based on the definition in the FRL as of end-March 2004 is 26.6 trillion yen. The figure decreased by 8.7 trillion yen from 35.3 trillion yen as of end-March 2003.
The total amount of loans classified as ''special attention'' decreased by 5.5 trillion yen, as a result of upward migration of special attention loans, owing to the improvement of business conditions and the progress of corporate revitalization, while the new accumulation of NPLs due to the weakened business activities still can be seen.
In addition, the total amount of loans classified as ''doubtful'' and ''bankrupt/de facto bankrupt'' decreased by 3.2 trillion yen as a result of steady efforts by banks to remove these loans from their balance sheets, while the new accumulation of NPLs due to the weakened business activities and the downward migration from upper categories still can be seen.
Breakdown of the factors of changes in NPLs based on the FRL as of end-March 2004
2. Specific Provision for Loan Losses
The total amount of specific provision for loan losses as of end-March 2004 stands 5.4 trillion yen, decreased by 0.6 trillion yen from 6.1 trillion yen as of end-March 2003. The decrease of these loan assets mainly reflects the progress of removal of NPLs from banks' balance sheets.
3. Total Loss Amount from the Disposals of NPLs
The total loss amount from the disposal of NPLs during FY2003 (April, 2003 - March, 2004) is 5.4 trillion yen, a decrease of 1.3 trillion yen from 6.7 trillion yen during FY2002.
For further information, please contact:
Supervisory Coordination Division
TEL: 03-3506-6000(ext. 3706, 3313)
- About FSAPage list
- Ministerial Team
- Annual Reports
- Financial Policies Monitor
- Laws & RegulationsPage list
- Name of Laws and Regulations
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Recent Changes
- Public Comment
- No Action Letter System
- PrinciplesPage list
- Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Progress and Assessment of the Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Policy Approaches to Strengthen Cyber Security in the Financial Sector
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- AnnouncementsPage list
- Press Conferences
- Press Releases
- Official Statements
- Great East Japan Earthquake-Related Information
- The Earthquake Centered in the Kumamoto Region of Kumamoto Prefecture 2016-Related Information
- List of Institutions
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.