September 13, 2019
Financial Services Agency
The results of monitoring customer-oriented business conduct of investment trust distributors
The Financial Services Agency (FSA) published the “Principles for Customer-Oriented Business Conduct” (hereinafter referred to as “the Principles”) in March 2017.The FSA encouraged financial institutions adopting “the Principles” to develop and publicize their “policy” and “KPIs (Key performance indicators) ” which are for the objective assessment of embeddedness of policy, and released the list of financial institutions that implemented the initiatives on the FSA website.
The FSA also selected and published the good practices of respective KPIs to improve the development of these by each financial institution. In June 2018, the FSA published three comparable “common KPIs ” that measure lomg-term return proportional to risk/cost of customers, apart from the respective KPIs developed by each financial institution, and encouraged financial institutions publicizing these in order to further promote “visualization” of their initiatives.
Moreover, the FSA analyzed the policies and KPIs, and published the good practices of contents and how they are used on financial institutions’ business in order to promote establishment of customer-oriented business conduct .
In August 2019, The FSA published the results of the customer survey (the FSA conducted from January to March 2019) which is for confirming the level of customer awareness and feedback on the initiatives made by the FSA and financial institutions due to two years having passed since the publication of “the Principles”.
In addition to these initiatives, the FSA published the result of its monitoring about the current status of the customer-oriented business conduct implemented by major financial institutions (ten major banks, twenty regional banks, and twelve securities companies).
Financial Services Agency
Tel +81-(0)3-3506-6000 (switchboard number)
Customer-oriented Business Conduct team, Risk Analysis Division,
Strategy Development and Management Bureau
(ext. 2199, 2203)
- Laws & RegulationsPage list Open
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Recent Changes
- Public Comment
- Capital adequacy requirements (Basel framework)
- No-Action Letter System
- Procedures concerning Foreign Account Management Institutions
- PrinciplesPage list Open
- Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Progress and Assessment of the Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Policy Approaches to Strengthen Cyber Security in the Financial Sector
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- AnnouncementsPage list Open
- Press Conferences
- Press Releases
- Official Statements
- Disaster-related Information (Support for Disaster Victims)
InstitutionsPage list Open
- List of Institutions
- For those engaging in High Speed Trading
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.