December 21, 2020
Financial Services Agency
Joint Statement on Japan’s Temporary Equivalence regarding Reinsurance and Enhanced Cooperation between Japan and EU in the Insurance Sector
The Financial Services Agency (FSA), jointly with the European Commission and European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA), published on December 21, 2020 a joint statement on Japan’s temporary equivalence regarding reinsurance and enhanced cooperation on insurance supervision. The key elements of the statement are as follows:
- The European Commission and EIOPA welcome the regulatory and supervisory developments in Japan, particularly the Advisory council on the economic value-based solvency framework - final report, published by the FSA.
- Japan’s temporary equivalence with respect to reinsurance granted by the European Commission is scheduled to expire on December 31, 2020. The expiration is due to the different timelines for the termination of status of temporary equivalence under the Solvency II Directive and the future implementation of Japan’s economic value-based solvency regime, respectively. It does not relate to an assessment of the quality of the supervision in Japan.
- Regulatory cooperation between the EU and Japan for the insurance sector remains strong. The authorities on both sides will further enhance supervisory cooperation.
International Affairs Office, Strategy Development and Management Bureau
+81-(0)3-3506-6000（main）（ext. 3694, 3192）
- Laws & RegulationsPage list Open
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Recent Changes
- Public Comment
- Capital adequacy requirements (Basel framework)
- No-Action Letter System
- Procedures concerning Foreign Account Management Institutions
- PrinciplesPage list Open
- Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Progress and Assessment of the Strategic Directions and Priorities
- Policy Approaches to Strengthen Cyber Security in the Financial Sector
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- AnnouncementsPage list Open
- Press Conferences
- Press Releases
- Official Statements
- Disaster-related Information (Support for Disaster Victims)
InstitutionsPage list Open
- List of Institutions
- For those engaging in High Speed Trading
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.