August 4, 2017
(January 12, 2021 Updated)
Financial Services Agency
The First Registration Case
Using the Financial Market Entry Consultation Desk
Among the consultation cases received at the Financial Market Entry Consultation Desk, registration procedures for Legal & General Investment Japan (hereinafter referred to as “Legal & General”) were successfully completed as of August 4, 2017, as the first case. Legal & General, a Japanese corporation of a UK asset management company Legal & General Group, applied for registration of Investment Management Business, Type II Financial Instruments Business, and Investment Advisory and Agency Business under the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act.
Taking into consideration Legal & General’s prospective entrustment of asset management from pension funds, and ensuing likelihood of establishing its business base in Japan, the FSA, the Kanto Local Finance Bureau (including its Tokyo Local Finance Office) and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government have set up a joint project team to promptly support the “fast entry” of the foreign financial business operator.
With the project team’s continuous provision of advice, and Legal & General’s endeavor for quality responses, Legal & General’s registration procedures were completed in approximately 3 months, half the time it takes in standard cases, from the initial contact for prior consultation.
The FSA’s Financial Market Entry Consultation Desk continues to support foreign financial business operators’ smooth entry that contributes to strengthening Japan’s financial market.
* the FSA and Local Finance Bureaus established “Financial Market Entry Office” (the "Office”) on January 12, 2021 to handle all the regulatory process from pre-application consultation, registration, to supervision after the registration for newly entering asset management firms as a single point of contact with all the communications available in English. Requests for consultations received by the Desk have been inherited by the Office along with all the functions of the Desk, including detailed records of the pre-application consultation.
- Press Releases & Public RelationsPage list Open
- Press Releases
- Press Conferences
- Official Statements
- FSA Weekly Review & ACCESS FSA
- For Financial Users
- Laws & RegulationsPage list Open
- Name of Laws and Regulations(PDF)
- Recent Changes (Legislation, Ordinances, Guidelines)
- Financial Instruments and Exchange Act
- Financial Monitoring Policy
- Public Comment
- No-Action Letter System
- Procedures concerning Foreign Account Management Institutions
- Regulated InstitutionsPage list Open
- List of Institutions
- Administrative Action
- For those engaging in High Speed Trading
- To Operators of Specially Permitted Businesses for Qualified Institutional Investors, etc.
- Asia Region Funds Passport (ARFP)